This BBQ mini sausage stir fry is super easy to make and tastes amazing! It's savory, sweet, and tangy. And with the addition of onions and pecan, the sausage stir fry is extra fragrant and flavorful. This mini sausage recipe takes only 15 minutes to make and seriously so good, both children and adults will love it!
Growing up, Kyong always looked forward to eating his mom's BBQ mini sausage stir fry with some Korean purple rice. She would always add a bit of onions, nuts, and sometimes tiny dry anchovies (myeolchi) for additional flavor.
This stir fry recipe is incredibly easy to make (only 15 minutes!) and quite customizable. It's savory, sweet, and a wee bit tangy, great for both children and adults!
But if you're looking for more easy to make dishes and banchan like this stir fry, you may also like our Korean sausage stir fry, cucumber kimchi, fresh kimchi (geotjeori), and mayak eggs (Korean marinated eggs).
- Mini smoked sausages - You can use any mini smoked sausages you want. You could even cut hot dogs into smaller pieces to substitute for the sausages too. We usually use Lit'l Smokies and Korean Vienna sausages.
- A1 steak sauce - Although you could do without A1 steak sauce, we highly recommend it! It gives this BBQ mini sausage stir fry a very particular flavor that's hard to mimic.
- Sweet BBQ sauce - It's very important that you use a sweet bbq sauce for this recipe. We used Sweet Baby Ray's, but you can use whichever brand you prefer.
- Ketchup - Ketchup is a wonderful condiment that easily seasons a dish with some sweet and tang.
- Yellow onion and pecan halves (optional) - Onions add lots of flavor to this sausage stir fry and we highly recommend. Both the onion and pecan also add texture to the stir fry, but you can do without them if you prefer.
- Green onion (optional for garnish)
How to make this BBQ mini sausage stir fry
This BBQ mini sausage stir fry is incredibly easy to make and takes only 15 minutes!
1. In a small bowl, mix together the A1 steak sauce, sweet BBQ sauce, and ketchup. Set aside until needed.
2. Drain the mini smoked sausages and give each sausage a couple of shallow cuts. Set aside until needed. *The cuts will ensure that the sausages get well coated with the sauce.*
3. In a medium pan over medium high heat, add a couple tablespoons of cooking oil. Once the oil is heated, add the mini sausages and stir fry them until they have golden brown spots.
4. Add the sliced onion and pecan halves and stir fry until the onion is lightly caramelized, about 1 to 2 minutes.
🌟 Pro tip: If you're using nuts and they have already been toasted, add them after the onions are caramelized to prevent burning.
5. Add the prepared sauce and stir fry for another minute or two, until everything is well coated and the sauce is slightly thickened. Add the green onions and stir fry for a few seconds. Remove from heat and enjoy while hot!
- Make shallow cuts in the mini sausages. This will prevent the sausages from popping when they're stir fried. And most importantly, collect sauces in the cuts so that they are well coated and extra flavorful!
- Don't overcook the onion. If you are adding onions to this BBQ mini sausage stir fry, cook the onions only until they're translucent and caramelized so that there's still texture.
- Add some onion and nuts. Stir frying some onions and nuts with these BBQ mini sausages add a lot of flavor and texture. But you can do without them as well.
- If your nuts are already toasted, you can add them after the onion has been stir fried and caramelized.
This BBQ mini sausage stir fry is great for making ahead for meal prepping, bento box lunches, or as banchan (side dishes)!
Let the sausage stir fry cool completely, then store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
To reheat the BBQ mini sausage stir fry, you can either microwave until the sausages are warmed through or heat it in a pan on medium heat with a small amount of water. But if you prefer, you can even enjoy it chilled!
If you're not a fan of ketchup, you can substitute it for sugar or honey, but in a lesser amount.
This recipe is super versatile. So feel free to use any mini smoked sausages, cocktail sausage, smoked sausages like andouille, and even hot dogs. If you are using larger links like andouille and hot dogs, make sure to cut them into smaller pieces.
If you’ve made this recipe or any recipes from our blog, please tag us on Instagram using #twoplaidaprons! You can also tag us in your Instagram stories using @two_plaid_aprons. We would love to see your creations! It absolutely makes our day! 🥰
BBQ Mini Sausage Stir-Fry
- 14 ounces mini smoked sausages (We like to use Lit'l Smokies and Korean Vienna sausages)
- 2 tablespoons A1 steak sauce
- 2 tablespoons sweet BBQ sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- ½ large yellow onion peeled and thinly sliced (optional)
- ½ cup pecan halves or the nuts of your choice (optional)
- 1 stalk green onion (optional)
- Oil as needed for cooking
- In a small bowl, mix together the A1 steak sauce, sweet BBQ sauce, and ketchup. Step aside until needed.
- Drain the mini smoke sausages if necessary, then give each mini sausages a couple of shallow cuts. This is so that the sausages get well coated with the sauce later.
- In a medium pan over medium high heat, add a couple tablespoons of oil. Once the oil is heated, add the mini sausages. Stir fry the sausages until they have golden brown spots.
- Add the sliced onion and pecan halves and stir fry for a minute or two, until the onions are caramelized.
- Add the prepared sauce and stir fry for another minute or two, until everything is well coated with sauce and the sauce is slightly thickened. Add the sliced green onions and stir fry for a few seconds.
- Remove from heat and garnish with more green onions if you wish. Enjoy with rice while hot!
- This recipe is easily customizable to our preference, so feel free to experiment!
- Mini smoke sausages - We usually go between Lit'l Smokies and Korean Vienna sausages. But you can use any mini sausages you want.
- Onion and pecan - These two ingredients are optional but adds a lot of flavor and texture to the BBQ sausage stir fry.
Drop a comment! We'd love to hear from you =)