Korean cheese corn is one of the most popular side dishes at Korean BBQ, next to kimchi, Korean volcano egg (gyeran jjim), and japchae. This recipe is super simple and easy to make. You can enjoy it less than 15 minutes!
When we have Korean BBQ, Korean cheese corn is always one of our most requested sides. It wouldn't be unusual for to order second, third, or even a fourth serving!
It's such a simple side that you can easily make at home and in less than 15 minutes! The cheese is beautifully melted and gooey, mixed with the popping of the corn kernels. It's addictive!
Enjoy this easy cheesy corn as a side dish at home with your favorite entrees, at home Korean BBQ, or beef bulgogi with vegetables!
Please scroll down to the recipe card for the ingredient quantities!
- Canned corn - Canned sweet corn is the most convenient to use and produce the most consistent flavor and sweetness.
- Shredded mozzarella - Pre-shredded mozzarella is perfect for this cheesy corn. Though, I recommend the finely shredded ones over the regular thickness mozzarella.
- Kewpie mayo - Japanese Kewpie mayo has more flavor than regular mayo. However, if you don't have any Kewpie mayo, regular mayo is fine too.
- Sugar - Just a touch a sugar to help season and balance the saltiness of the cheese.
- Salt and pepper - To slightly season the cheese corn and bring out more sweetness in the corn.
- Cooking spray - Highly recommended to prevent the cheese from sticking to the baking dish.
How to make this easy Korean cheese corn
1. Prepare the oven: Preheat the oven to 450°F and lightly grease a sizzle platter or a small cast iron skillet (5 to 6 inches) with oil or cooking spray.
🌟 Pro tip: Move one of your baking racks to the second from the top heating element so that the Korean cheese corn and skillet heats up faster. Plus, it'll give you better colors on the cheese without drying out the corn.
2. In a mixing bowl, add all of the ingredients (corn, mozzarella, mayo, sugar, salt, and black pepper). Mix until evenly combined.
3. Transfer the corn and cheese mixture into the greased pan and spread it out evenly.
4. Top the corn and cheese mixture with a little more shredded mozzarella and bake for about 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and golden brown here and there.
5. Remove the Korean cheese corn from the oven and let it cool for a moment. Enjoy!
- Drain the canned corn well. Too much excess liquid from the corn can make this Korean cheese corn loose and watery.
- Use a fast heat conducting bakeware if possible. Cast iron and thin metal baking pans are great because they can heat up very fast, which means the corn won't dry out.
- Grease the baking pan. Cheese loves to stick to baking dishes. So we highly recommend using some cooking spray, or at least some high smoke point oil, so that the cheese doesn't stick.
Storage and Reheating
Korean cheese corn is best enjoyed shortly after making and preferably while it's hot/warm. This way, the cheese will stay stretchy and gooey.
If you have leftover cheese corn, let it cool completely, then transfer it to an airtight container. It will stay good in the fridge for up to 4 days.
You can easily reheat it in the microwave or in the oven at 350°F or the air fryer at 325°F for about 5 minutes, or until it's hot and the cheese is melted and gooey.
You could use fresh corn, but canned corn is much more convenient to use and tastes consistently sweet.
We highly recommend using shredded mozzarella for Korean cheese corn.
If you’ve made this recipe or any recipes from our blog, please tag us on Instagram using #twoplaidaprons! You can also tag us in your Instagram stories using @two_plaid_aprons. We would love to see your creations! It absolutely makes our day! 🥰
Korean Cheese Corn
- 1 can sweet corn well drained (the 15.25 oz/432 g can)
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese (plus more for topping)
- 2 tablespoons Kewpie mayo
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Few cracks of black pepper
- Move the baking rack to the second from the top of the oven and preheat the oven to 450°F. Also, lightly grease a sizzle platter or a small cast iron skillet (5 to 6 inches) with oil or cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, add all of the ingredients (corn, mozzarella, mayo, sugar, salt, and black pepper). Mix until evenly combined.
- Transfer the corn and cheese mixture into the greased pan and spread it out evenly.
- Top the corn and cheese mixture with a little more shredded mozzarella and bake for about 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and golden brown here and there.
- Remove the Korean cheese corn from the oven and let it cool for a moment. Enjoy!
- Kewpie mayo - We recommend Kewpie mayo because it's the tastiest. However, you can use regular mayo instead.
Drop a comment! We'd love to hear from you =)