This matcha custard toast is our Asian spin on the viral TikTok yogurt custard toast. It's a super easy and fun recipe to make for breakfast, snack, and even as a healthy dessert. Bonus: you can have it ready in less than 10 minutes!
Need a fun, easy breakfast ready in less than 10 minutes? These matcha custard toasts are IT!
The toasts are perfectly crispy on the outside and the matcha custards are just set and smooth with a hint of floral and earthiness. Topped with fruits and another drizzle of honey, it is oh, SO GOOD!
If you're looking for more matcha goodness, you may also like our matcha crème brûlée, 3 ingredient matcha ice cream (dairy free!), and one egg matcha soufflé pancake.
What is matcha custard toast?
Matcha custard toast is our spin on the viral TikTok yogurt custard toast. It's a super easy, fun, and not to mention tasty breakfast toast that you can eat as a coffee snack or dessert.
The original custard toasts were made with sliced bread, greek yogurt, egg, and a sweetener. We wanted to add an Asian twist to this trendy custard toast, so we added matcha powder and used honey!
- Sliced bread - Any sliced bread like sandwich breads will do, but brioche will definitely add some nice richness. If you're feeling adventurous, make your own brioche loaf!
- Greek yogurt - We recommend using greek yogurt, as it's much thicker than regular yogurt. This will help make a better custard base. Plain greek yogurt is great, but feel free to experiment with other flavors!
- Culinary grade matcha - Using good quality matcha powder will give you a more vibrant green and taste more earthy and floral instead of tannic and bitter.
- Egg - This recipe calls for a large egg. If using smaller size eggs, you will have to adjust the amount of yogurt used in order for the custard to set.
- Honey - A classic pairing to matcha. But you can also use other sweeteners like agave or maple syrup.
- Berries - Any berries of your choice is perfect! Although, we did notice that juicier berries sometimes can make the custard looser when air frying.
Popular topping choices
This matcha yogurt custard toast is so fun to make because you can mix and match the toppings and add on extra toppings to your preference! Here are some popular topping ideas:
- Berries like blueberries, raspberries, and black berries. We tried strawberries, but did make our custard a bit looser.
- Stone fruits like peaches, nectarines, and plums. I recommend cutting them into slices and use them before they get soft.
- Chocolates are great with matcha. Both white and dark chocolate chips are recommended!
- Honey, maple syrup, and agave are great for drizzling on the toasts before enjoying. You can also dust on powdered sugar if you prefer.
These matcha custard toasts are super easy to make in an air fryer. You can have breakfast ready in less than 10 minutes!
1. Whisk together the greek yogurt and matcha powder in a bowl until no more matcha clumps are visible.
2. Add the egg into the matcha yogurt, along with the honey. Whisk until well combined.
3. Place 2 to 3 slices of bread in the air fryer basket, and gently indent the center of each slice of bread.
*You can line the bottom of the air fryer basket with parchment or foil to prevent and leaks and for easier clean up.*
4. Divide the matcha yogurt custard base amongst the three slices of bread, and top each with some berries or fruits of your choice.
5. Air fry the custard toasts for 5 minutes at 350°F, or until the center of the matcha custard slightly jiggles when you shake it.
6. Let the toasts cool for a few minute, then carefully remove them from the air fryer. Top the matcha custard toasts with more honey and/or powdered sugar.
Alternative cooking method
If you don't have an air fryer, no worries! We've also made these matcha custard toasts in our oven and toaster oven. They both worked great!
Make custard toasts in the oven:
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Make the matcha custard toasts as instructed in the recipe, and place them on a parchment or foil lined sheet pan. Bake the custard toasts for about 5 to 8 minutes on the center rack, or until the center of the matcha custard slightly jiggles when you shake it.
If using a toaster oven:
Preheat the toaster oven to 375°F and line the toaster oven pan with parchment or foil. Place the sliced breads on the pan and make the custard toasts as instructed by the recipe. Bake for about 5 minutes, or until the center of the custard slightly jiggles when you shake it.
- Mix the greek yogurt with matcha first. This will prevent having matcha clumps in your custard.
- Adjust the sweetness to your preference. We don't recommend not using any sweetener at all. However, feel free to lower the amount of honey if you prefer the custard less sweet. Alternatively, add a bit more honey, if you want it sweeter.
- Avoid berries and fruits with lots of moisture. For example, strawberries will release it's moisture into the custard as it cooks. That will make the custard loose, and the custard may not set.
- All air fryers, ovens, and toaster ovens are different. So adjust the cook time if needed for your custard toasts.
You can use regular yogurt, but you'll want to use less as they are usually thinner. Greek yogurt is thicker, which helps the matcha custard set better.
You can swap the honey out for maple syrup, agave, or even date syrup. If you want, you could even use regular sugar, but make sure the sugar gets fully dissolved before air frying or baking.
If you’ve made this recipe or any recipes from our blog, please tag us on Instagram using #twoplaidaprons! You can also tag us in your Instagram stories using @two_plaid_aprons. We would love to see your creations! It absolutely makes our day! 🥰
Matcha Custard Toast (Viral TikTok Recipe)
- 3 slices sandwich bread (2 to 3 slices, depending on size; highly recommend brioche for extra richness)
- 3 tablespoons greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon culinary grade matcha
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon honey more or less to your preference
- Handful of berries (your choice of berries for toppings)
- Make the yogurt custard base:In a bowl, combine the greek yogurt and matcha powder. Whisk until no more lumps of matcha is visible. Add the egg and honey and whisk until well combined.
- (Optional) Line the bottom of the air fryer:Line the bottom of the air fryer with parchment paper or foil.
- Prepare the bread:Place the bread into the air fryer basket in a single layer. Gently indent the center of the sliced breads with your fingers. Divide the matcha custard base amongst the sliced breads and add a few berries on each slice.
- Air fry the custard toasts:Air fry the matcha custard toasts at 350°F for about 5 minutes, or until the center of the custard only slightly jiggles you shake it.*Each air fryer is different, so the cook time make vary. Add a few more minutes if the custard still seems loose after 5 minutes.*
- To serve:Let the matcha custard toast cool in the air fryer basket for a few minutes before removing. If you'd like, drizzle the toasts with more honey or dust with powdered sugar. Enjoy!
- Oven or toaster oven - If you don't have an air fryer, you can still make this recipe! Check out the post above for details on making these matcha custard toasts using a toaster oven or your oven.
- Make your own brioche - Want to make your own bread for this recipe? This brioche loaf is pretty easy to make and tastes amazing!
Drop a comment! We'd love to hear from you =)