These sweet chili brussel sprouts are roasted in the air fryer and are super easy to make with only 5 ingredients and literally 4 steps! This asian style brussel sprouts recipe is a great back pocket recipe for when you need a quick and easy vegetable side dish or for the holidays!
Asian style brussel sprouts and brussel sprouts in general are probably one of the most requested vegetable side dishes at both of the restaurants we used to work at. They are incredibly easy to make and tastes amazing!
These air fried brussel sprouts with sweet chili sauce are nutty with a touch of caramelized flavor and slight bitterness that goes really well with the sweetness of the sweet chili sauce.
They are great as both an easy side dish that you can quickly throw together or as a popular side dish at your next holiday gather or potluck!
Please scroll down to the recipe card for the ingredient quantities!
- Brussel sprouts - We highly recommend using fresh brussel sprouts for any air fried and roasted brussel sprouts recipe. This ensure the best flavor and texture. You can usually find fresh brussel sprouts at your local grocery stores where fresh produce are found, sold in mesh produce bags.
- Oil - Just a small amount of oil is needed to coat the brussel sprouts for air frying. Feel free to use any neutral oil with a high smoking point, like vegetable oil or grapeseed oil.
- Salt and pepper - For seasoning the brussel sprouts. Personally we prefer Kosher salt because they have coarse flakes, but fine salt is fine too.
- Sweet chili sauce - An asian household pantry stable and the main flavoring for these brussel sprouts. We highly recommend Mae Ploy sweet chili sauce, but any other brand are tasty too!
How to make sweet chili brussel sprouts in the air fryer
1. Place the brussel sprouts that have been trimmed and cut in half in a mixing bowl, along with the oil, salt, and black pepper. Mix well so that the brussels are evenly coated and place them into the air fryer basket.
2. Air fry on 375°F for about 15 minutes, or until the outer leaf of the brussel sprouts are dark brown and crispy and the brussels no longer taste raw.
🌟 Pro tip: It is inevitable that some brussel sprout leaves will become dark brown. This is a telltale sign that your brussels are going to be crispy. The browning on the brussel sprouts actually adds a lot of nice caramelized flavor and some bitterness that contrasts well with the sweet chili sauce.
3. Remove from the air fryer and place the air fried brussels back into a bowl. Add the sweet chili sauce and toss until evenly coated.
4. Transfer to a serving plate and enjoy while hot!
How to make it in the oven
If you don't have an air fryer, still make these asian style brussel sprouts in the oven! Just preheat the oven to 400°F and line a sheet pan with aluminum foil. Bake the brussels until they are just cooked with crispy outer leaves, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Every air fryer is different, so the temperature and cook time may vary. If you see that you need to adjust the cook time and/ or temperature, please do so as you see fit!
- Only lightly coat the brussel sprouts! Using too much oil can make your brussel sprouts soggy.
- Try to keep the brussel sprouts in a single layer and avoid overcrowding the air fryer basket to prevent steaming and making the brussels soggy.
- Make the brussels close to when you are ready to serve for best flavor and texture.
These sweet chili brussel sprouts are best eaten shortly after cooking. However, if you have any leftover, let them cool completely before storing them in an airtight container and kept in the fridge for up to 3 to 4 days.
The stovetop is the best way to reheat these brussel sprouts with sweet chili sauce. Over medium heat, add the brussel sprouts with a small amount of water. Sauté until the brussels are heated through and the water has evaporated. Do note that the brussels sprouts won't be as crispy like the first days.
Remove any unwanted outer leaves of the brussel sprouts and trim away any questionable spots. Cut off the extra root on the brussels, then cut each in half.
We recommend air frying brussel sprouts at 375°F so that they get cooked through and get crispy on the outside. Some air fryers, especially toaster oven air fryers, require the temperature to be increased to 400°F.
Soggy brussel sprouts are usually caused by overcrowded air fryer basket, too much oil, or too low temperature.
We don't recommend frozen brussel sprouts because they tend to become mushy and super soft after cooking. If you don't mind the texture, yes. You can use frozen brussel sprouts.
If you’ve made this recipe or any recipes from our blog, please tag us on Instagram using #twoplaidaprons! You can also tag us in your Instagram stories using @two_plaid_aprons. We would love to see your creations! It absolutely makes our day! 🥰
Sweet Chili Brussel Sprouts (Air Fryer)
- Place the brussel sprouts that have been trimmed and cut in half in a mixing bowl, along with the oil, salt, and black pepper. Mix well so that the brussels are evenly coated and place them into the air fryer basket.
- Air fry on 375°F for about 15 minutes, or until the outer leaf of the brussel sprouts are dark brown and crispy and the brussels no longer taste raw.
- Remove from the air fryer and place the air fried brussels back into a bowl. Add the sweet chili sauce and toss until evenly coated.
- Transfer to a serving plate and enjoy while hot!
- Air fryer - Do note that every air fryer is different, which may means the settings and temperature may differ. So please adjust you air fryer's temperature and cook time as you see needed.
- Brussel sprouts - Please peel away any questionable and undesirable outer layers of your brussel sprouts and trim off any excess root of your brussels.
- Texture - Based on our cook time and temperature, these brussels are just cooked with a slightly crunchy and crispy texture. If you prefer yours softer, increase the cook time by 5 to 10 minutes and decrease the temperature to 350°F.